Sometimes taking on a rescue dog seems to be easy in that the dog should realise that you are kind and thus want to stay with you. But rescued animals often have an unknown past, they have inbred qualities and character traits reflecting their breed, or, if a cross breed, then they have characteristics you might not expect. Their personalities are affected by the treatment they have received. Malcolm is a Beagle with all the charms and personality of his breed. He is affectionate and fun loving, child and adult friendly and, like all his breed companions, he lets his nose guide him through life.


We met Malcolm after he was found wandering around Carelles, a nearby village and, realising that he was lost, someone brought him to us. It was evident that this lovely chap was hungry and tired and so he was made comfortable. Attempts at finding his owner failed and, after quarantine and his health checks, Malcolm was made available for adoption. During his stay at Grande Daze he made friends with everyone, dogs, cats and people! He fitted in a treat and his exercise was always filled with lots of interesting corners to explore and companions to run around with; just the thing for an inquisitive, enquiring nose!

It wasn’t long before someone came along to adopt Malcolm and a match was made. Malcolm joined his new family and after only 48 hours he found the chance to follow his nose. Photo’s, notices and enquiries were made. We were contacted the day after Malcolm went missing. We posted on Pet Alert and FaceBook, and notified as many people as possible to keep an eye open. I went out in the early mornings along with Fraggle with a bell on his collar. We left our scent in as many places as we could. From Malcolm’s new home further and further out in a wide circle we searched. 2 days, 3 days passed and our worries intensified. We kept thinking no news was good news. Another few days and then a week had passed, our hope was fading! Then a message via Facebook came in and our spirits lifted. Malcolm had been spotted on the main road in the same village from where he was first found which is about a 4 and a half hour walk, or, approximately 22 kilometres distance from his new home.
I dashed out to the place where he had been seen, walked around whistling and calling. All the time hoping that the scent of the dogs from Grande Daze was powerful around me and that Fraggle and his bell would attract attention.

Look out for PART TWO next month.

%d bloggers like this: